ORDERS MAY BE SLIGHTLY DELAYED DUE TO COVID RESTRICTIONS
March 28, 2021 • SKIN & BEAUTY
Benefits of Soursop for the Skin
Soursop is the most interesting fruit. It is native to the warm and tropical regions of the Americas, and is part of almost every islander’s childhood. Its scientific name is Annona muricata and it goes by several other names, depending on where you are: guanabana, paw-paw, sirsak, and graviola are all the same thing. Soursop’s flavor can best be described as a cross between mango and pineapple.
The fruit is large, prickly and heart shaped with a beautiful green color. It has a soft, juicy flesh inside. Many compare soursop to custard apples in terms of flavor and appearance. When ripe, it becomes slightly soft and the skin turns a lighter green. Its flesh is white and pulpy, and contains little black seeds, which can be toxic if eaten. The fruit has a sweet and acidic taste, and is often used to make the most delicious, creamy juices in the Caribbean.
Soursop is a powerhouse fruit that contains numerous phytonutrients that can fight disease-causing cells. These phytonutrients contain antioxidant properties that enhance overall health. They help fight cancer, enhance eye health, and treat a range of infections, among other things. The fruit is notably high in vitamin C -- a powerful antioxidant known to boost immune health. One whole soursop fruit contains 215% of your recommended daily allowance of vitamin C. It also promotes the destruction of free radicals, which can help to protect your skin from environmental damage. In fact, like many nutrient-rich fruits, the power of soursop can also be harnessed for external uses, including for enhancing skin care routines. It is high in antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It is rich in antioxidants, antibacterial agents, saponins, and astringent, which all promote healthy, glowing skin. Here are a few of the many skin benefits:
1. Treats itchy skin: The antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties of soursop make it very effective in treating itchy skin. Regularly applying soursop will help to calm itchiness and promote healthy skin. As a testament to its effectiveness, soursop leaves are often used for calming the skin of babies.
2. Treats acne: Because of its antibacterial properties, soursop is among one of the most effective remedies for treating acne. It helps to heal the skin and it promotes regeneration
3. Anti aging properties: Including soursop in your daily skin care routine will go a long way in staving off wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging. Soursop contains antioxidants that play a key role in killing the free radicals that are responsible for these aging signs.
4. Hyperpigmentation: Your skin’s glow is highly dependent on Vitamin C and ascorbic acid. Soursop is rich in both. Vitamin C and ascorbic acid can help to treat hyperpigmented areas, as well as promote healthy, glowing skin.
5. Treats rashes and eczema: The antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties of soursop also help to prevent skin infections and treat skin problems such as eczema.
6. Helps Dry Skin:Soursop’s nourishing attributes also make it an efficient remedy for dry skin. Soursop is high in saponins and antioxidants which promote a natural and healthy glow for skin. A popular dry skin remedy involves a regular application of soursop pulp with your favorite oil.